Saturday, November 2, 2013

Newcomers (Elysum)


Samuel

We finished work on the lumber mill today. Jonathon and I spent all afternoon hammering in nails, while Peter and Jack solved the problem with the chimney-pipe. The exhaust had been billowing lighter-coloured smoke than was usual, and it came to be known that there was a blockage in the furnace. With a little force, and the aid of my keen eye, they were able to clear it out.

Upon my return home Samantha welcomed me to the home of our parents with a wreath of flowers collected from the edge of the forest, by the hollow tree trunk. She had taken some of the younger girls from the school out to pick flowers and make daisy chains.

I tried to warn her about what father would say on the matter, as he did not approve of girls or women going to the forest without an escort of men. It is simply too dangerous these days, with all the reports of wolves in the vicinity.

She bridled me for my vain efforts to control her, and to my own horror I pushed her roughly on the shoulders, a tone of anger flaring in my voice. I tried to temper this ill mood but she had run off, not hearing my calls of apology.

Alas, I cannot control the wonton behaviour of my sister. She is a waifish lass, the likes of whom tend to attract the fearsome attention of the village council, and the eyes of the unruliest men. I shall have to double my efforts to subdue her, and maintain my vigilance.

There have been rumours of more new arrivals to our peaceful village. With three score residents in Elysum this is a larger town, though I am not certain there is room for any more souls. The Timbers boy spoke of an old crone living alone in a shack, and that nobody knows from whence she came, except that she has been seen twice this past week.

However, I cannot dwell on such matters. There are other questions which are more pressing. For instance, I wonder if Elsbeth will be keen for a dance with me at the ball next month?

No comments:

Post a Comment